1 a flat protective covering (on a door or wall etc) to prevent soiling by dirty fingers [syn: finger plate, scutcheon]
2 (nautical) a plate on a ship's stern on which the name is inscribed
3 a shield; especially one displaying a coat of arms [syn: scutcheon]
- /ɪ'skʌtʃən/, /I"skVtS@n/
- Rhymes: -ʌtʃən
- An individual or corporate coat of arms.
- The insignia around doorknob's exterior hardware or a door lock's cosmetic plate.
- A flat protective covering (on a door or wall etc) to prevent soiling by user's fingers.
- blot on the escutcheon - A stain on the family name. (Probably from the little known and extremely turgid play of the same name by Robert Browning).
Escutcheon may refer to:
- Escutcheon (heraldry) - a term used in heraldry for the shield displayed in a coat of arms.
- Escutcheon - in medicine, refers to the male or female distribution of pubic hair.
- Escutcheon (furniture) - an architectural item of door furniture that surrounds a keyhole or lock cylinder.
- Escutcheon - plate on the stern of a ship inscribed with the ship's name.
- Escutcheon - in bathroom plumbing, the term used for any back-plate, ornamental or otherwise (usually round) used to cover a gap between a penetrating pipe or control valve, and the finished wall surface from which it protrudes.
achievement, alerion, animal charge, annulet, argent, armorial bearings, armory, arms, azure, bandeau, bar, bar sinister, baton, bearings, bend, bend sinister, billet, blazon, blazonry, bordure, broad arrow, cadency mark, canton, chaplet, charge, chevron, chief, coat of arms, cockatrice, coronet, crescent, crest, cross, cross moline, crown, device, difference, differencing, eagle, ermine, ermines, erminites, erminois, falcon, fess, fess point, field, file, flanch, fleur-de-lis, fret, fur, fusil, garland, griffin, gules, gyron, hatchment, helmet, heraldic device, honor point, impalement, impaling, inescutcheon, label, lion, lozenge, mantling, marshaling, martlet, mascle, metal, motto, mullet, nombril point, octofoil, or, ordinary, orle, pale, paly, pean, pheon, purpure, quarter, quartering, rose, sable, saltire, scutcheon, shield, spread eagle, subordinary, tenne, tincture, torse, tressure, unicorn, vair, vert, wreath, yale